Font Size » Large | Small


1958 – Presbytery buys 4 acres of land for $30,000
Jan. 4, 1959 – First worship service, Langford Jr. High School
Jan. 25, 1959 – Organizational service with 127 Charter members, 160 in attendance
Nov. 20, 1960 – First worship in the Fellowship Hall, with 340 in attendance
Feb. 12, 1961 – Dedication of first building, 12,000 square feet, $127,000
July 5, 1964 – First use of the 2- Story Educational Wing
May 26, 1974 – Fund Drive for Sanctuary completed ($238,290 in pledges raised)
Jan., 1976 – Dedication of Sanctuary Easter, 1989 Pipe organ completed and installed at a cost of $165,000
May, 1993 – Renovation Fund was completed ($360,000 in pledges)
Summer, 1995 – Renovation of Classrooms
March 24, 1996 – Loan note on Sanctuary burned Summer, 2000 Columbarium/Memorial Garden Completed
July, 2004 – Installation of playground equipment completed
January 22, 2006 – Groundbreaking for building/renovation project
September 2008 – Renovation of Sanctuary Complete

Pastors

The Rev. Jim Johnson | 1958-1959 (organizing pastor)
The Rev. French O’Shields | 1959-1966
The Rev. Hubert Wardlaw | 1966-1970
The Rev. Asa Meadows | 1971-1980
The Rev. Dr. C. Harold Reagan | 1981-1989
The Rev. Dr. J. Richard Short | 1992-2001
The Rev. Robert M. Watkins | 2003-2015

Our Name

The name of the church was selected from a list which included five other names: St. Andrews, Immanuel, Grace, Walton Way, and Aumond. The name Covenant was chosen because the people have always been related to God through covenants. A covenant is defined as “the promise made by God to God’s people, as recorded in the Bible.” In the Old Testament, God set the rainbow in the sky as a sign of the covenant between God and every living creature on the earth (Genesis 8:12-17). God also established a covenant with Abraham to make him the father of a great nation and a blessing to the earth (Genesis 17:1-8). The ultimate covenant between God and the people of the earth was in Christ’s institution of the Lord’s Supper (Luke 22:20).

A covenant is also defined as “an agreement among members of a church to defend its doctrines, polity, and faith.” In 1638, Scottish Covenanters signed a covenant to defend the Evangelical Reformed Church in Scotland, thereby preserving and extending Presbyterianism.