Updated June 3, 2020
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change….” Psalm 46
Recently, it seems as though the earth has changed in ways that we could not have imagined a short time ago. God is still our refuge and strength, and we will continue to testify to that in all that we do.
At its stated meeting on June 2, 2020, the Session adopted a recommendation from the Open the Gates task force for stage 1 of a return to the church campus. Stage 1 will be in effect through at least August 9, 2020. Highlights from the recommendation are included below, and you can read the entire document here.
- Click here for live streamed worship services.
- Sundays, June 21-August 9 – We will live stream one worship service at 11 a.m., and we will open the sanctuary to 40 worshipers. People are asked to RSVP for worship earlier in the week through the church office, so we can manage the number of people in the sanctuary and maintain proper social distancing. All worshipers are asked to wear masks. Masks are available at the church if you don’t have one. The bulletin will be emailed to the congregation before the service, and a recording of the service will be available later in the day.
- Other Gatherings: All gatherings are encourage to meet online rather than in person. Gatherings of up to 20 people may be scheduled in the Fellowship Hall. Gatherings of up to 6 people may be scheduled in other rooms. All gatherings must be scheduled ahead of time through the church office. Masks must be worn, attendance must be recorded, and groups are responsible for cleaning and disinfecting the space after using it.
- Covenant Preschool: Fall registration is open. More information, including safety guidelines approved by the Session, may be found on the Covenant Preschool website.
- Church Office: If under orders from the governor to shelter-in-place, the church office will be closed and the building will be locked. Beginning June 15, the church office will be open for regular office hours, and the Church Secretary and Finance Secretary will resume their normal hours. Other staff will continue to work from home. If you have business in the church office, then please make an appointment. Everyone who comes into the office is required to wear a mask.
- Open the Gates Task Force: On May 5, the Session created a task force to form a plan to safely reopen the property to in-person gatherings. This task force is charged with creating a phased plan that will protect the health and safety of our community as we return to our building.
- Future Decisions: The Session will meet monthly to assess the situation and extend these provisions as necessary.
Several of our ministry teams, the Diaconate, the Session, and small groups are using a tool called Zoom to meet together online. The church has a subscription to this service. Leaders are welcome to contact Andy or Katelyn to set up online meetings.